- Natalia Fernandes (universidade do minho, braga, portugal)
- Maria João Pereira (Universidade do Minho)
- Sesión de comunicaciones orales Franja 5 : Avances en los estudios de infancia
- Responsable(s): Iskra Pavez (Universidad Bernardo O'Higgins)
- Tipo de sesión: Sesión de comunicaciones orales
- Día: sÃ¡bado, 2 de julio de 2016
- Hora: 09:00 a 10:45
- Lugar: 001
This proposal intends to present some features about participatory research with children in Portugal.
To what extent are children’s rights to participate being implemented in research? – This is the research question that drives this discussion.
Considering the field of child studies we will argue that we have been assisting during last two decades to a huge development in renewed ways of thinking children and the research produced for and with them. To sustain these statements we will present some reflections on childhood and participation, considering children’s rights, namely their rights to participation and active citizenship, which are fundamental to overcome the idea of children as objects that are shaped in a passive relationship in research.
Then we shall present what has been the impact of this theoretical discussion in research with children, showing what has been doing when we use participatory research with children, the constraints and the challenges and also the main points that are being brought to light in order to deeply consider, more and more accurate methodological strategies to research with children.
Palabras clave: children, research, participation