The Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives (CESSDA) is a pan-European distributed research infrastructure that provides large scale, integrated and sustainable data services to the social sciences. CESSDA is working to define and extend the frontiers in this rapidly expanding field. The Main Office is located in Bergen, Norway, and coordinates the cooperation between Data Service Providers from the 13 European countries which currently participate, and any which join in the future.
CESSDA is now seeking to recruit its first Managing Director
We are seeking an outstanding person to head the Main Office, and act as the chief executive officer, chief scientific officer and representative of CESSDA in the international community.
The main responsibilities of the Managing Director include:
• Building on prior work, draft strategy, work programme, budget and a staff plan for CESSDA.
• Oversee the implementation and operation of the distributed infrastructure and coordinate the Service Provider cooperation.
• Monitor and measure CESSDA activities and report to the Board of Directors.
• Build strong pan-European and international relationships with a broad range of stakeholders, within and outside the consortium.
• Lead the pan-European and international fundraising efforts for CESSDA.
• Ensure compliance with appropriate ethical, legal and societal norms.
• Facilitate and support the operation of CESSDA’s governing and advisory bodies.
The Managing Director will be supported in these tasks by the team of the CESSDA Main Office, consisting of up to eight persons.
The ideal candidate will be able to elaborate the strategic goals of CESSDA and demonstrate the leadership to make them a reality. Excellent communication and negotiation skills are indispensable, as well as a proven record of management capabilities including experience in financial management, organizational development and team leadership. The successful candidate will meet as many of the following criteria.
• A higher university degree or equivalent qualification in the social sciences or a related field.
• An understanding of current and emerging agendas and challenges in data management and curation in the Social Sciences.
• Experience of the European Research Area, the international arena, and understanding of the ESFRI process.
• A proven fundraising record.
• A record of scientific excellence in social science and/or data management.
• The ability to understand the issues involved in building, maintaining, and federating digital repositories, catalogues, authentication services, and similar infrastructure components based on modern information technologies.
• The opportunity to shape the implementation of a large infrastructure in a rapidly developing environment.
• A competitive salary, to be negotiated according to qualification and experience.
• Social security/benefits according to Norwegian regulations.
• CESSDA is an inclusive, equal-opportunity and non-discrimination employer.
• For candidates with a relevant research profile, a Professor II position at the University of Bergen could be offered.
For a more detailed version of this vacancy note and practical information on the application process, please refer to: http://cessda.net/vacancy/
Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives AS
Harald Hårfagres gate 29, N-5007 Bergen, Norway
+47-55 58 21 17