- Natalia Fernandes (universidade do minho, braga, portugal)
- Manuel Sarmento (Universidade do Minho)
- Gabriela Trevisan (Escola Superior de Educação Paula Frassinet)
- Sesión de comunicaciones orales Franja 1B : La infancia en la coyuntura socioeconómica
- Responsable(s): Lourdes Gaitán Muñoz (Asociación Grupo de Sociología de la Infancia y la Adolescencia)
- Tipo de sesión: Sesión de comunicaciones orales
- Día: jueves, 30 de junio de 2016
- Hora: 14:00 a 16:00
- Lugar: S01
Sociology of childhood helps us to understand children as one of the most vulnerable groups in society and childhood itself as a generational group with several specificities inside the societal structure. In these reflections it is important to understand how childhood is constructed and experienced, but also to consider the impacts of political economic conditions on children’s lives and in childhood in general taking into account the effects brought by public policies. As Prout argues ‘… there are vast disparities in the social and economic conditions of children’s (and adults’) lives around the globe and these are a consequence of the workings of the global economy’ (2005: 17-18). The consequences that arose from this ‘global economy’ have been significant in Portuguese children’s lives and we believe this impact assumes itself as a major force to promote social inequality and jeopardize children’s rights in general.
The aim of this paper is to reflect on the ways through which the social and economic crisis affecting general Portuguese population has impacted in children in particular and promoted a general disrespect of their basic rights discrimination and lack of opportunities in childhood.
We will focus on two dimensions: first on general data about the ongoing policies that have been reducing social rights, increasing poverty rates and threatening basic rights such as educational and health rights, trying to show their impact on children´s lives. Second we will discuss some data collected with children in order to try to characterize from their points of view the meanings and impacts of the crisis in their lives.
Palabras clave: children; crisis; portuguese; challenges